The Science Vessel Spaceship project is now complete.
I have finished applying paint.
As the paint scheme was going to be relatively simple I did not do a photoshop rough first. I just winged it on the model.
It is basically finished in Rustoleum 2x UltraCover Primer flat white with red markings using a Humbrol flat red enamel with chips masked out with a latex masking fluid. The dark grey detail regions are the Rustoleum grey Multi surface primer I used for the primer coat left without a top coat.
The weathering wash on the grey primer was my usual poo juice made from Tamiya Flat black heavily diluted with methylated spirits or ethanol. It is liberally applied and then wiped off after drying (which is pretty quick) with a metho soaked rag leaving the wash in all the recesses and around the detail. wiping in a particular direction will leave directional streaks. Then a dry brushed white cheap artists acrylic.
The white areas received a similar wash mix but in this case it is a heavily diluted grey/brown wash instead of the straight black. I found on the Moon Bus project the black wash did not look so good on the white, I think the grey brown on this model works a lot better. There is no dry brushing on the white as it would never show up.
Then all the paint chipping was laboriously hand painted using a mid grey Tamiya colour and a fine brush.
Finally here is the result.
The following pictures show the underneath surfaces.
You can't see much of the cockpit interior but that was expected.
The rear half of this model was started in the mid 1990's and sat around neglected and incomplete for around 25 years. It is nice to finally see it completed with a new front end that is in every way a better concept and execution than the original. I think I have improved as a designer and model maker over those 25 years and I hope that incremental improvement will continue.
It's satisfying to get that elusive third model completed in a single year. The other two models, the Stretched Sabre and the Merchant Vessel were started and finished in this year and that is an added bonus. The main factor that helped this level of output was my very low hours of paid work over most of this year. That has all changed I am back in full time work again so I don't expect to match that output again for quite a while. The upside is I can now afford to replenish some of my dwindling Hobby supplies.
Thanks for looking.