I have had the tracked lower section of the Bruder dozer toy from the original ToyBash truck project lying around without any concept of what to do with it . Very recently I acquired a Wall E Truck toy on ebay and when it arrived in the post I had an idea about combining the two.
At 12 volts with no load they produce only 70 rpm which may be a bit slow so we will see how that works out in due course.
The Bruder dozer has molded-in fake rollers that the tracks just slide over. I wanted to reduce the friction so I decided to try and modify the track supports and add actual rolling rollers. I hacked away all the bits of ABS that were the non-functioning rollers leaving the support brackets. These were then drilled to take a 2mm piano wire pin cut with a Dremel metal cut of disc. The rollers needed to be 16mm in diameter, I had some 12mm PVC rod and then found some PVC conduit in my stock with a 12mm ID and a 16mm OD, so in my mini lathe I machined up 16 sets of roller parts. I also made the top track return roller using the original molded ABS one I cut off. In the picture below you can see the modified track support above with the un-modified version still with the non-working rollers at the bottom.
I mostly used pair of electronic flush cutting nippers to hack away the unwanted plastic along with a razor saw and much careful sanding and filing. Below is another comparison of before and after on the track supports plus the new rollers and pins.
The separate roller parts were glued together with thin superglue wicked into the join and then once set they were assembled with the pins being retained with another small drop of thin superglue, being careful not to get any on the rollers. The result has been quite successful the tracks now roll smoothly along and the friction has been substantially reduced.
This slot engages with a pin in the shaft locating it radially and axially at the correct track centre distance and the sprocket is retained with a 3mm cap screw into the the threaded portion at the end of the shaft.
Of course it would have been sensible to cut the slot before gluing the hub into the plastic sprocket but when you are working this stuff out as you go along sometimes the penny drops a bit later than would have been ideal.
I have yet to wire up the motors for a preliminary test but so far it all looks like it will work.
Now with all the major mechanical issues addressed what does the vehicle itself look like, well here it is so far...
Some acrylic plastic wine glasses from a charity shop are being used as tanks at the rear, covered with a plethora of pipes and kit part detailing. The whole rear tank module is removable (held on with a couple of cap screws into some more superglued PVC sheet drilled and tapped M3) so the motor mount can be extracted for servicing if necessary.
I thought the arms at the side of the Wall E truck which held some wacky tractor wheels could be re-purposed for some laser like devices making this some kind of laser mining vehicle. I had a Nerf gun toy that might fit the bill for this and found another one new for only $7.00 at Target for the other side. I removed the handle which is conveniently a separate part.
Various holes in the body have been filled with styrene strip and detailing of the surfaces has begun.