About this Blog

This is about the combination of two interests, Radio Control vehicles and Science Fiction models. This blog documents my science fiction spaceship and radio controlled vehicle projects.

Sunday 7 April 2019

Moebius-1 part7

The interior of the bubble cockpit is now more or less complete in construction. I will need to spray some grey primer to be sure but I think its got more than enough nurnies to do the job.

I started by making up a cardboard template with the outline of the interior space so I could make sure the centre seat console module and the overhead panel module would fit inside the bubble as I built it.





The occupants are from a Fujimi 1/24 scale drivers set, with the seats a very nicely molded resin cast aftermarket racing seat set. After I received the seats in the post I happened to find a nearly identical pair of styrene seats in a 1/24th scale Supra kit I found in a charity shop. I have had that kit box sitting around for a while now and never thought to look in it. I modified the female figure by making the skirt look more like trousers. I wrapped some thin strips of masking tape around her very skinny legs and the put some white heat shrink tubing over the top and shrank it into place to make some kind of thigh high boots. Their arms had to be heat bent to get then to reach to the side for the seat mounted control panels. I also had to hack away at the male figure to get his shoulders to fit between the seat wings. The foot rest is a couple of photo etch kit parts superglued to a bit of bent brass rod.
 




At the moment the figures and the seat section is removable to help with access while painting but will be permanently fixed in place later. There are a couple of bright white leds buried in the central console  which will throw some light onto the figures. I am planning to add some blue leds behind the central orifice in the back wall. The large white round shape on the back wall is an ABS part salvaged from an old washing machine.



The front bubble can be positioned in place with friction alone with the help of a couple of bits of Hobby King half round ABS, top and bottom that go through some half round holes that were already conveniently in the dome molding.





Thanks for Looking.
More soon...

4 comments:

  1. The detailing is really impressive....as with all of your builds to be honest. It's nice to see the close-ups of your greeble work.....great inspiration for my own kitbashing projects.

    Awesome Mung!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the business! One day I will make a spaceship that nice . . . well, almost that nice. I really need to figure out the LED trick one of these days. My last attempt was an abysmal failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are doing anymore 1/24 scale projects that require figures check out the 1/24 figures from Masterbox Models they have male and female plus mechanics and some scifi figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't got any other 1/24 projects on the horizon but you never know. Thanks for taking the trouble to comment.

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts in the Last 7 Days