About this Blog

This is about the combination of two interests, Radio Control vehicles and Science Fiction models. This blog documents my science fiction spaceship and radio controlled vehicle projects.

Saturday 9 January 2016

Escape Pod part 6

I completed scribing panel lines over the plainer areas of the surface and then finished up with spot putty and more grey primer.
I was trying for  a 1970's Science fiction book cover style and originally painted it yellow with some sections black and what from the cap colour looked like red but was really a reddish orange. Unfortunately the current fashion in automotive paints is more towards a lemon yellow rather than the warm orangy yellow I was trying to find so I relented and sprayed the warmest yellow I could find but it really wasn't working. I attempted to reduce the yellow down to stripes but it still looked like a dog's breakfast. After much more tedious masking I eventually sprayed over all the remaining yellow with the left over orange from the Toybash Truck project for the final result shown.
 My usual technique of weathering was applied and paint chipped off the edges of the panels by scraping with a scalpel.
Some decals from kit part nurny donors was added.




Below is a close up of the photo-voltaic panels. These were sprayed a blue metallic colour and then with a tiny brush different shades of  a blue, metallic turquoise and a black permanent marker were employed to pick out random squares. The permanent marker shines in an interesting pearlescent manner when it catches the specular light.












I still want to add some markings on the side and I'm thinking of adding some landing pads underneath. The pilots also need painting , however my holidays are over and its back to work on Monday so the pace of progress will regrettably slow.

More soon...

1 comment:

Most Popular Posts in the Last 7 Days